With Afi G Suite Backup you can configure regular automated backups of your Google Workspace resources with several easy steps.
1. Set up Afi service and configure backup
Install Afi Backup application to your Google Workspace domain by following the installation guide.
In rare cases it can take up to 24 hours until all Google Workspace domain resources become visible and accessible for the application.
Configure protected resources
Choose user accounts and Shared (Team) Drives which you want to protect and their protection policies (SLAs). Protection policy defines how often backups are performed, what Google Workspace data is protected and how long backup data is retained.
Afi G Suite Backup application provides several pre-defined backup policies that you can use right away or modify/create new policies:
Then assign protection policies to all resources (Users and Shared drives) in a Google Workspace domain or select specific resources or Organizational units to be protected.
Assign SLA per resource
or per Organizational unit
With Bronze, Silver and Gold protection policies backups are performed automatically in accordance with the schedule defined by SLA policy. Afi service shows the time of the next scheduled backup on the Protection screen for every protected resource.
With the Manual protection policy backup will not be automatically performed, so you should trigger it manually by pressing the Backup now button for a user or resource on the Protection screen or the Backup all now button on the Overview screen to initiate full domain backup. Backup now button allows initiating the out-schedule backup process for any resource protected by any available protection policy.
Monitor backup progress
Backup status can be monitored both on the Service -> Protection screen (see progress wheel in the Status column) or on the Activity -> Tasks screen:
To simplify progress monitoring, you can filter out In Progress Status on the Activity -> Tasks screen:
Once a backup is finished, you can access backup data by clicking on Recover button next to a resource name on the Service -> Protection screen.
3. Data browse
Recovery screen enables live preview, search and browsing of user mailboxes, user and Shared drives, contact lists and calendar events:
4. Data download
Afi application allows to download all the data from a backup in different formats including:
- Mail data (mail folders, individual emails or the whole mailbox) in PST, MBOX and EML formats;
- User and Shared drive data in ZIP format (for several files or folders) or as individual files;
- Calendar data in ICS and PST formats;
- Contacts data in VCF and PST formats.
Choose emails to download and press Download button:
Choose files and/or folders to download and press Download button:
For longer data export jobs you can monitor their progress at Activity -> Tasks tab and Afi will send you an email notification with a link to exported data once export is completed.
5. Data restore
Restore can be performed for:
- a full user account or Shared drive;
- selected Google Workspace services (for example, only user mailbox);
- individual items (for example, specific emails or folders inside a Drive).
To initiate a restore process:
- (optional) choose specific items for restore by enabling checkboxes across item names (for example, choose emails to restore);
- press Recover button;
- choose if it is required to restore a full account/service or only specific items;
- choose recovery destination (another user/Shared drive or the same user/Shared drive);
- choose if to perform in-place recovery or restore data to a separate folder.
You can monitor recovery progress at Activity -> Tasks tab and Afi will send you an email notification once recovery is completed.